"Once we have completely eradicated our delusions it will be utterly impossible for us to experience unpeaceful states of mind." Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

Monday, November 25, 2013

(every season, but especially winter) makes me think about travelling.


I have the travel bug. I admit it, and I just love quenching it!! You can often catch me hitting up Google with questions like "cheapest flights in ___ (insert current month)" and "places you must travel to before age ___ (insert next year's age)" and oh the list goes on and on…

I like to plan trips, just for the sake of planning them, regardless of whether I will physically be going on them or not. I love mapping things out as if I were to be driving that route the following week or taking the bus between point A and point B. Pretending that I will be at those places eventually, I think helps me with remembering names and the proximity of different cities.

For my current travel obsession, I'm focusing on the Americas, you know, keeping it close to home. I have yet to treat myself to a trip to NYC and have been longing to go for years and years! I've planned my trip out so many times, not to mention the amount of films and TV shows I've seen with New York as the setting, that it feels like I have indeed been, several times over! My fixation however, is currently not just on NYC but on a backpacking adventure with New York as the jumping off point! Yippeee! How about NYC-Washington, DC (which will only take ~2.5 hrs by train!! I was quite surprised by this short distance too!) - Nashville - Memphis - New Orleans - and a charming two day road trip down to Miami for the win?!  Now, if that doesn't sound like a blast, I don't know what does! Here's a visual for y'all:



So, that would be fun. Who wants to join me??

Also, have you seen this super great list of world heritage sites:

http://www.travelycia.com/12-beautiful-world-heritage-sites/

When I see photos like this:

and this:


… I swear my dopamine receptors go through the roof! The first photo is of Angkor Wat in Cambodia, which I had the pleasure of visiting almost two years ago. The second, is in Petra, Jordan, in which my introduction to the historical "Rose City" was through the movie Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Unfortunately, I have only visited in my dreams but hopefully I'll get there in more than spirit, someday!